Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Great American Road Trip

Tomorrow marks the start of the Herman-Mooney family's Great American Road Trip. I'm writing this now because the next 20 hours will be pretty intense. Around 3:30 a.m. tomorrow my uncle will corral my mom and me into his 2013 Toyota Sienna aka The Adventure Van. We'll be picking up Diane, one of my mom's closest friends and then heading 14 hours west to Topeka, Kansas. From there we will venture to Colorado, Arizona, California, Oregon, Idaho and a bunch of badlands and plains before heading back to Ohio about three weeks from now.

This trip formed after some friends of the family announced they're getting married in Santa Barbara, but a cross-country trip has been on our minds for at least a year. The theme of this tour is 40/60 to commemorate the milestone birthdays my uncle and I are celebrating? enduring? later this year. Mom and Diane have birthdays a day apart. They just turned 66. So, if we're being technical, the theme is 40/60/66/66. Not exactly pithy, and borderline Satanic, but whatever.

For me, this trip couldn't come at a better time. If it's one thing I have right now, it's time. Hooray for unemployment. My life is very much at a crossroads and I've been feeling a little lost. I'm not expecting am epiphany on Pike's Peak or a peyote-fuled vision in the desert, but a little perspective would be nice.

It's going to be thousands of miles in close quarters but I'm excited to get out of here for a while and spend time with my family. Looking forward to seeing the Arizona relatives, too, provided we don't lose our minds and drive The Adventure Van "Thelma & Louise" style into the Grand Canyon.

Earlier tonight, we went to the Ohio State Fair to see Aretha Franklin, the patron saint of driving everywhere. The show was pretty church-like, so hopefully we'll be blessed with good travel. Godspeed and goodnight. I have to get up in 4 1/2 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment